Maybe your inadequacy is exactly where you’re supposed to be

I haven’t posted on here nearly as much as I want to. You know why?

Fear.

Of course. (I can hear you chuckling over there.)

I didn’t realize when The Year Of No Fear became a thing that ALL of my fears would resurface. Suddenly I feared putting any words on the Internet. Fear of what you might think of me? Perhaps.

B6M-6EZIcAAPKXf

I told God the other day that I thought I was the wrong person for this.

“I’m too scared,” I told Him. “Why couldn’t you have chosen someone who knows what they’re doing? Who doesn’t constantly feel inadequate? Who plans ahead, and will actually write things on the blog instead of ignoring it?”

I told this to my friend too, and she said this: “Maybe this is how you’re supposed to feel. Scared, a little hesitant, not quite sure what you’re supposed to do. Maybe your inadequacy is exactly where you’re supposed to be.”

She’s right, of course. When I feel like I “have it all together”, I hardly turn to Jesus. I feel confident and on top of the world, not needing Him or anyone.

And yet when I’m frightened and uneasy, the only strength I have to draw from is His. And He is good. And He is greater than all of my fears, and no fear is too great or too measly to bring in front of Him.

Maybe today you feel overwhelmed and afraid and inadequate. But maybe that’s where you’re supposed to be, as a reminder that you don’t need to do this alone,  because there is a good, grace-filled God that wants to do this all with you.

So tell me, how’s your No Fear journey going?

Ps. If you have twitter you can follow me here. I’ve been trying to post “no fear” verses every day. I’ve also been semi regularly posting them on Instagram, which you can see here. And on my Facebook page, which you can see here.

Comments

1. Karla Messenger says

Thank you so much for posting this! It answered a nagging question I have been praying over. You are on the money about being scared and inadequate… It truly does cause one to seek His presence all day and night for His strength and leaning my entire personality on Him.

2. Crystal Maurizi says

My year of no fear has been spent non-stop going to the hospital…first with my child and then a week with a friend. Trying hard to hang on to it. Thanks for keeping me on track and holding my hand through it.

3. dewittjenni says

Thanks for sharing your fear with us. When I was reading your post, that verse from Paul popped into my mind:

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)

You are encouraging a community with your words, Aliza. God has set you out to do this task, He’ll give you what you need to do it His way. So grateful for you and your determination to follow His lead!!!

Jenni @ http://genuflected.com/

4. Jennifer says

Aliza-
    The main reason I’m embarking on The Year of No Fear with you is because you are experiencing just what I’m experiencing. You’re not giving us a bunch of fluff and “Christian-speak.” You’re not brushing us off with “God loves you” and a bunch of bible verses. You’re sharing your fear with us. You’re walking with us. So please don’t be afraid to say you’re afraid. That’s exactly what I need to hear;) Thanks so much for your transparency and the COURAGE to put it onscreen! We’re all in this together!!!

And I think you’re exactly right on! Thank you for that powerful message! See what God can do? Funny isn’t it;)

@dewittjenni Thanks so much for that verse! One of my favorites! Brings me encouragement every time I read it.

5. Amy Carter says

Oh the amazing things that God can do with our inadequacies! I believe that your friend is right. God doesn’t want us all put together and on top of our game. He wasn’t us humbly seeking Him for strength and guidance as we all embark on this journey of No Fear. Courageous living isn’t living without fear, it’s choosing to live in spite of our fears. Thank you so much for sharing your heart and your insecurities. I think all of us need to do a little bit more of both.

• Amy Carter says

Haha! After I posted my comment I realized I hadn’t even answered your question! I am doing alright so far. God is asking me to do some pretty big things that are outside of my comfort bubble, but I’m trusting Him that He knows what He’s doing. I find it very encouraging that as I grow in my walk with Him, in my own journey of befriending myself, in learning how to live with contentment, that He doesn’t let me just stay still. He asks me to take His hand and follow Him around the bend so that I can glimpse even more of this wonderful plan of His. I am never disappointed with the view.

6. Mary says

I know God led me to this blog. I have been a Christian for 30 years yet I have never experienced so much fear as I am now. Everything and I mean everything makes me afraid. Worry and negative thoughts are constant. I’m very thankful for your sharing of your fears and those of others. Let’s keep encouraging each other. I really like what Amy said about choosing to live inspite of our fears. I want be joyful even if things around me are not the way I want them to be. So hard to do though.

7. Teresa says

This so resonates with me. I am in a transition period, waiting on God to open the door to my new,better job. My husband keeps urging me to start looking, but I feel that God is saying, “just rest in me, I need you to become more intimate with me, then I will show you where to apply for your job.” Afraid I am not doing enough to prepare for this new job, I know I need to stay focused on God and His timing

8. Jenn says

I am right there with you! Thank you for posting this. I feel like fear has been subsisting a bit but then the night falls and it rears it’s ugly head. Why is it so much harder to trust when it is dark? I was super encouraged by another post I read that said, “Sometimes you have to do the thing that scares you the most and then you don’t have to be afraid of it anymore” (in)courage; The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace. ~Ps. 29:11 . This is hat I need to meditate on today. Thank you for sharing your fears as well. It was icing on the cake of encouragment today 🙂

Trackbacks